The three-year SmartCare programme was set up to improve Falls Prevention and Management by supporting integration through improved care co-ordination and communication.
Jointly funded by the Scottish Government and the European Commission, SmartCare has worked with local communities n Ayrshire & Arran, Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire / East Renfrewshire, as well as industry partners, to co-design and develop three digital tools – a Person Held File, Care Coordination Calendar and a Falls Self Assessment Tool.
Person Held File – an online file that allows a person to store health and social care information of themselves, or someone that they care for. The File can then be shared with their family or with professionals involved in their health and care.
Care Co-ordination Calendar – an online calendar that helps co-ordinate the different agencies involved in a person’s health and care.
Falls Assistant – an online tool that supports someone at risk of a fall, or recovering from one. It provides safety tips, exercises to help keep people steady on their feet and a range of useful resources that can help prevent falls.
SmartCare has supported:
- Renfrewshire Partnership to electronically share Assessment and Care Plan information with around 30 service users, evidencing real organisational and user benefits.
- NHS National Services Scotland and Atos in the process of integrating the Emergency Care Summary information into the Person Held File as an initial pilot for 10 users.
- Around 400 users to share aspects of their Person Held File with other people and organisations
- Users to share their Care Coordination Calendar with their carers and professionals
- North Ayrshire Partnership to integrate Care at Home Appointments within the care co-ordination calendar via the CM 2000 database. This provides users with the name of their visiting carer and verifies the time of their appointment.
- 1,839 people to access the falls self assessment tool, benefiting from personalised falls related information and advice. Fun games are being developed by Social Marketing Gateway to reinforce key prevention messages and engage users.